Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Man survives lightning strike, again!

Lightning can strike twice. Just ask American Don Frick, a resident of Hamlin.

Frick said he survived his second lightning strike on Friday, July 27th - 27 years to the day of his first - and emerged a bit shaken, with only a burned zipper and a hole in the back of his jeans. "I'm lucky I'm alive," Frick said in a phone interview two days later.

Frick was attending a festival when a storm came up quickly. He and six others sought refuge in a shed shortly before lightning struck the ground nearby. The strike sent a shock through Frick and four others.

"It put me up against the wall," said Frick, 68. "When I came to and realized I was alive, the first thing that came to my mind was that I'm pretty lucky."

None of the others were seriously injured.

Twenty-seven years earlier, Frick said he was driving a tractor-trailer when the antenna was struck by lightning, injuring his left side for weeks.